ELWYN B. ROBINSON DEPARTMENT OF SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
CHESTER FRITZ LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA
GRAND FORKS, NORTH DAKOTA 58202

UNITED HOSPITAL COLLECTION

COLLECTION: OGL #533

DATES: 1976

SIZE: 36 photographs

INTRODUCTION

ACQUISITION: The United Hospital Collection was deposited in the Orin G. Libby Manuscript Collection by Elwyn B. Robinson, Grand Forks, North Dakota on April 4, 1979 (Acc. #79-584).

ACCESS: Available for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Department of Special Collections.

HISTORICAL SKETCH

The United Hospital is the result of a consolidation between St. Michael's and Deaconess Hospital. In 1892, the Deaconess Hospital was founded, while St. Michael's Hospital opened in December 1907. In 1966, James A. Hamilton Associates recommended that Deaconess Hospital build a new structure next to St. Michael's Hospital. In 1969, Herman Smith Associates stated in their reports to the Community Health Planning Council that the two hospitals consolidate and build a new facility on a new site.

As a result of the growing community and region, Deaconess Hospital, St. Michael's Hospital, the Grand Forks Clinic, and the University of North Dakota Medical Center Rehabilitation discussed the problems of lack of space for expansion. In 1971, Deaconess and St. Michael's Hospitals became legally, but not physically, one United Hospital. Organizers broke ground for the first facility on Medical Park, a 90-acre campus of medical services and facilities including an acute care hospital, a rehabilitation hospital, a large specialty clinic, an orthopedic clinic, a family practice clinic, a nursing home, a chemical dependency center and a senior living center.

In 1977, United Hospital organized the first paramedic training program in North Dakota. Cardiac services had expanded to include open heart surgery by 1988. The United Hospital is now known as Altru Hospital and is part of Altru Health System.

Source: They Came to Stay, Grand Forks, North Dakota, Centennial 1874-1974

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

The United Hospital Collection contains photographs of both the interior and exterior sections of United Hospital, Grand Forks, North Dakota. Included are pictures of the front entrance, nursing service center, emergency room, dietary office, pharmacy, laboratory, blood bank, cancer treatment center, storeroom, chapel, cafeteria, library and lounge areas. The photographs were taken by Elwyn B. Robinson, Grand Forks, North Dakota in October 1976.

SEPARATIONS RECORD

36 photographs were separated and placed in the Orin G. Libby Photograph Collection.

OGL #533-1

Linear accelerator for radiation treatment, 1976

OGL #533-2

Linear accelerator for radiation treatment, 1976

OGL #533-3

Blood bank, 1976

OGL #533-4

Laboratory, 1976

OGL #533-5

Laboratory, 1976

OGL #533-6

Pharmacy, 1976

OGL #533-7

Pharmacy, 1976

OGL #533-8

Meeting room on first floor, 1976

OGL #533-9

Vending machines in cafeteria, 1976

OGL #533-10

Cafeteria on first floor, 1976

OGL #533-11

Cafeteria, 1976

OGL #533-12

Library, 1976

OGL #533-13

Dietary office, 1976

OGL #533-14

Main supply room on first floor, 1976

OGL #533-15

Main supply room on first floor, 1976

OGL #533-16

Emergency room, 1976

OGL #533-17

Emergency room, 1976

OGL #533-18

Emergency room, 1976

OGL #533-19

Emergency room, 1976

OGL #533-20

Examining room, 1976

OGL #533-21

Examining room, 1976

OGL #533-22

Doctor's registry, 1976

OGL #533-23

Doctor's lounge, 1976

OGL #533-24

Chapel, 1976

OGL #533-25

Patient cart in corridor, 1976

OGL #533-26

Physical therapy room, 1976

OGL #533-27

Pantry and automatic cart system, 1976

OGL #533-28

Storeroom, 1976

OGL #533-29

Patient's lounge, 1976

OGL #533-30

Examining room of nursing floor, 1976

OGL #533-31

Pneumatic tube system for records, 1976

OGL #533-32

Nursing service center, 1976

OGL #533-33

Patient's room and bath, 1976

OGL #533-34

Patient's room, 1976

OGL #533-35

Patient's room, 1976

OGL #533-36

View of hospital from outside, 1976


Return to: Medicine

Special Collections Home Page Contact Special Collections Chester Fritz Library Home Page