Skip to main content.

Orin G. Libby Manuscript Collection > Grand Forks History

David Beach Papers: Grand Forks City Council, 1985-1998

Joseph Bell DeRemer Papers: 1871-1944; Prominent Grand Forks architect who designed the UND President’s House, the Elks Lodge, the Masonic Temple, the New Ryan Hotel, and United Lutheran Church, among others. Also includes architectural materials of DeRemer’s son, Samuel Teel DeRemer

E. J. Lander & Co. Records: Real estate, land development and farm management firm with holdings throughout northern North Dakota and Montana. Headquartered in Grand Forks and founded in 1883

Fortnightly Club Records: Grand Forks social club founded in 1898, consisting of prominent members of the university, as well as the business, legal and medical communities

Franklin Club Records: Grand Forks social club founded in 1906 to promote the "social and intellectual lives of its members"

Eliot Glassheim Papers: 1938-; Grand Forks City Council member, and editor of Voices from the Flood: An Oral History of the 1997 Flood of the Red River of the North

Grand Forks Community Art Association Records: 1982-?; Organization of amateur and professional artists

Grand Forks County Chapter of the American Red Cross Records: 1917-1980

Grand Forks County Coroner Certificates: 1882-1989

Grand Forks County Marriage Licenses: 1875-1995

Grand Forks County Superintendent of Schools Records: 1883-1994

Grand Forks Herald Collection: 1879-2003; Historic issues of the newspaper, including the 1997 Red River Valley Flood

Grand Forks Historic Preservation Commission Records: Created in 1987 to oversee potential changes to historic properties and structures in Grand Forks

Grand Forks Lions Club Records

Grand Forks, Mayor’s Office Scrapbooks: Scrapbooks of newspaper clippings regarding Grand Forks City Government, 1976-1987

Grand Forks Metropolitan Opera House Records: "The Met" had its debut performance in 1890, and is still standing in downtown Grand Forks

Grand Forks Public School District Records: Meeting minutes of the Grand Forks School Board, 1881-1980

William Julison Papers: 1916-1988; Grand Forks business owner who chronicled city athletics

Oscar Lunseth Papers: 1894-1976; Grand Forks City Alderman, 1940-1952, Mayor of Grand Forks, 1952-1960

Michael Maidenberg Papers: 1942-; Publisher of the Grand Forks Herald, who was also active in the economic development of Grand Forks

Norman Midboe Papers: Scrapbooks documenting the history and development of the Grand Forks Airport, 1959-1985

Northern Packing Company Records, Grand Forks: This meat processing plant opened in December 1919

C. P. O’Neill Papers: 1911-1986; Grand Forks City Council (1948-1960 and 1964-1972), Mayor of Grand Forks (1972-1980)

Michael Polovitz Papers: 1926-; Mayor of Grand Forks, 1988-1996

Jerald Quam Papers: Photographs and other materials related to the history of the Grand Forks Speedway, as well as automobile racing in North Dakota. The collection dates from 1982-1988.

William W. Roath, Jr. Papers: 1956-; Grand Forks City Council, 1982-1985

Fred Schneider Papers: Over 300 historical postcards of Grand Forks and UND, as well as more than 170 photographs of the 1997 Red River Valley Flood

St. James High School Records: Catholic Academy and High School, 1885-1969

George B. Winship Papers: 1847-1931; Founder of the Grand Forks Herald

YWCA Records: Grand Forks branch of the Young Women’s Christian Association, 1903-1970

1997 Red River Valley Flood

Last Update: 19 October 2011

Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota
3051 University Ave Stop 9000
Grand Forks ND 58202-9000

Phone: (701) 777-2617
Fax: (701) 777-3319
Contact Library