ELWYN B. ROBINSON DEPARTMENT OF SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
CHESTER FRITZ LIBRARY
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA
GRAND FORKS, NORTH DAKOTA 58202
SIZE: 1.25 linear feet, 1 scrapbook
ACQUISITION: The University YWCA Records were deposited into University Archives on March 29, 1983. Additional material was transferred in 2002. This material was originally housed in OGL#37.
ACCESS: Open for inspection under the rules and regulations of the Department of Special Collections.
RELATED COLLECTION: Grand Forks YWCA Records, OGL #37
The Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) originated in England in 1855, and was begun and financed by women. The goal of the organization was to assist those girls and women who had left the protection of their home for wider fields of activity. The YWCA, a membership organization with a religious purpose, was open to any girl or young woman, providing them with the opportunity for physical, social, mental, and spiritual growth.
A branch of the YWCA had existed on the campus of the University of North Dakota since 1892. Meeting locations for the University YWCA were quite varied, including Davis Hall, Merrified Hall, homes of members and the E.J. Lander building. While students made up the University branch, they were always advised by a committee of five to nine members, selected from faculty, wives of faculty, alumni and others associated with the larger YWCA. Interest in the University YWCA began to decline in the years following World War II. For this reason, University YWCA was officially disbanded on May 1, 1963.
The University YWCA Records consist of historical materials, executive materials, financial information, membership materials and miscellanous. Historical materials include the constitution and several annual reports, while the exective material consists of meeting minutes and correspondence. Membership materials consist of rosters, program information and several YWCA Membership Agreements with the National YWCA. Financial information is general in scope and runs from 1927-1963. There is also specific materials related to the Community Chest/United Fund from 1950 until 1962. Miscellaneous materials include one scrapbook from the Summer Geneva Student Conference, held June 20-28, 1939, at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. A second scrapbook documents club activities from 1938-1952, and contains newspaper clippings, photographs and correspondence. Two publications distibuted by the National YWCA are also included.
One scrapbook, dated 1938-1952, was separated and placed on the shelves adjacent to the collection. This scrapbook documents the activities of the University YWCA and contains newspaper clippings, photographs and correspondence.
Return to: University Archives Collection
|Special Collections Home Page||Contact Special Collections||Chester Fritz Library Home Page|