Proposals deadline for Faculty Research Seed Money is Friday, Dec. 2
Applications are invited for Faculty Research Seed Money Awards. The deadline for submission is 4 p.m. Dec. 2. Program details follow.
Description: The Faculty Research Seed Money Committee distributes funds to support projects by faculty in any department of the University. The goal of the Seed Money Program is to enhance the ability of the faculty to submit successful extramural research grant applications.
Eligibility: Applicants must have a full-time faculty appointment at UND.
Faculty who have previously received funds from the Seed Money Committee must have a final report on file with Research Development and Compliance (Room 105 Twamley; Stop 7134) one month prior to the application date in order to be considered for an award.
Faculty who have previously received funds from the Seed Money Committee and who wish to apply for additional support must present evidence that they have submitted a related extramural research proposal since receiving Committee funds. (An extramural application is one submitted to an agency or foundation “outside UND.” Thus, for example, proposals sent to the following are not extramural: UND Instructional Development, NRI, RD&C, SSAC and North Dakota EPSCoR). The new application must describe how the previous Seed Money Award was used and what applications or related publications resulted.
Review Criteria: Proposals will be subject to competitive review and ranking by discipline-related subcommittees whose members are appointed by individual departments. Proposals must be clear, of high quality, and be designed to develop a project or provide preliminary data for one or more extramural grant proposals.
Higher priority will be given to:
- Proposals with high potential for producing successful extramural applications
- Applicants who have not received recent funding from the Seed Money Committee
- Applicants with a demonstrated record of research or academic accomplishment
- Projects that can be completed in 12 to 18 months
Lower priority will be given to projects from investigators who have significant and/or continuous funding, unless the request is required to begin a project not currently supported. Projects will not be supported if they were previously submitted to an extramural agency but were declined funding because of lack of scientific, technical or academic merit. However, higher consideration will be given to those projects previously submitted to an external agency if the purpose of the Seed Money Application is to address reviewers’ comments, to improve the chance that a revised extramural application will be successful. Where applicable, a copy of the review summary from the most recent unfunded external proposal should be included.
The application should be prepared to convince and be understood by a general audience, only some of whom may be proficient in the applicant's area. The following headings and page limitations apply:
- Cover Page: Include Target Subcommittee; principal investigator's name; department, college; proposal title; amount requested; proposed beginning and ending dates of the project; agency to which extramural proposal will be submitted; list of previous Faculty Research Seed Money Committee Awards and whether or not a final report and external proposal have been filed; signatures of the principal investigator, department chair, and dean of the college.
- Research or Project Plan: Three pages maximum. Include aims, background, significance, approach, methods
- Format: One inch margins, single spaced, not to exceed 6 lines per linear inch. (The three page limit for the project plan will be strictly enforced. Proposals exceeding the limit will be returned without review. Appendices circumventing this limit will be discarded.) References/Bibliography are not included in the three-page limit.
- Detailed Budget (including justification; indirect costs are not included)
The budget should be for a maximum of 12 to 18 months.
Award amounts may range from $1,000 to $40,000.
Projected expenditures must be reasonable, justified and directly related to the project.
Unallowable Budget Items: The Committee has ruled that Seed Money funds may not be used for travel and expenses in conjunction with attendance or presentation of materials at a conference. If you choose to request travel funds that are later disallowed, please be assured this decision will have no impact upon the selection of the remainder of your proposal for an award. Note that salary for the PI is NOT allowed. For any other questions concerning allowable budget items contact RD&C.
- Biographical Sketch (two pages maximum)
- Current and Pending Grant Support (title, short description, agency, requested amount)
- Historical Grant Support at UND (including national, private and seed money awards)
- List of Extramural Applications Submitted But Not Funded (include past three years)
- Statement of Intent to Submit Extramural Application (title, agency, time period, funds to be requested). Where support is requested for a project that will not serve as the basis for an extramural application, then potential future sources of external funding should be listed.
All applications must be received in Research Development and Compliance (Room 105 Twamley) no later than 4 p.m. Friday, Dec. 2.
Submit the original application to RD&C and an electronic copy to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Faculty Research Seed Money Committee
c/o RD&C, Twamley Hall, Room 105
Note: The subcommittee chair has the option to forward proposals outside the subcommittee expertise to a more appropriate subcommittee.
- All recipients of Faculty Research Seed Money grants are required to submit a final report to Research Development and Compliance within one month of the project’s end date or depletion of awarded funds, if that occurs before the project ends. The report should include a brief summary of results of the study, how funds were expended and whether or not the project resulted in external grant proposals/awards, publications, presentations, etc.
- All funds should be spent by the ending date of the award. In exceptional circumstances, recipients may request an extension for up to six months to complete a project. No further extensions will be granted.
- All recipients of Faculty Research Seed Money grants are required to submit a proposal to an external funding agency within one year of the award’s end date.
- All recipients must present evidence that all work associated with their proposal has been approved by the appropriate compliance committee (IRB, IACUC, IBC, etc.) before the award will be set up.
Composition of Subcommittees
Basic Medical Sciences
Anatomy and Cell Biology
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Microbiology and Immunology
Pharmacology, Physiology and Therapeutics
Communication Sciences and Disorders
Educational Foundations and Research
Physical Education and Exercise Science
Statewide Psych-Mental Health
Teaching & Learning
Engineering and Technology
Aviation & Aerospace Sciences
Nutrition and Dietetics
Humanities and Fine Arts
Philosophy and Religion
Mathematics and Natural Sciences
Geology and Geological Engineering
Information Systems and Business Education
Practice and Role Development (Nursing)
Family and Community Nursing
Political Science and Public Administration
-- Barry Milavetz, associate vice president for Research, 777-4280, email@example.com.