VP for University and Public Affairs candidate to visit campus April 4-5
Susan Walton, one of three finalists for the position of Vice President for University and Public Affairs, will visit UND April 4-5. The other candidates include:
- Pete Haga, community/governmental relations officer, City of Grand Forks, Grand Forks, N.D., April 10-11
- Derek Hall, vice president for University Relations and External Affairs, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, Fla., April 26-27
In addition to meeting with President Robert Kelley and various constituency groups, each candidate will participate in an open forum in the form of a “Great Conversation.” These are open to the University and the greater Grand Forks communities. The open forum conversations include:
- Susan Walton, Wednesday, April 4, 3:15 p.m. in the Memorial Union Lecture Bowl, moderated by Charley Johnson, WDAZ TV co-anchor. A reception follows starting at 4 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge.
- Pete Haga, Tuesday, April 10, 3:15 p.m. in the Memorial Union Lecture Bowl, moderated by Charley Johnson, WDAZ TV co-anchor. A reception follows starting at 4 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge.
- Derek Hall, Thursday, April 26, 3:15 p.m., Burtness Theatre. A reception follows starting at 4 p.m. in the lobby.
After the campus visits are complete, the search committee, chaired by Dr. Joshua Wynne, UND Vice President for Health Affairs and Dean of the UND School of Medicine and Health Sciences, will recommend finalists to President Robert Kelley.
Susan Walton has been a member of the Brigham Young University Department of Communications faculty since June 2006, and has served as the Department’s Associate Chair for Student Media since May 2009. She is responsible for providing administrative management for student-run labs, including the Bradley Public Relations Agency, the Advanced Advertising Lab, the ElevenNews daily television news broadcast, and The Daily Universe, Brigham Young University’s campus newspaper. Since 2007, Walton has served as owner and principal of Strategic Communications Consulting, LLC., a communications consulting and writing agency. Walton’s prior positions include Director of Corporate Communication for Harley-Davidson Motor Company, 2004-2006, and Director of Corporate Communications, Boise Cascade Corporation, 2000-2004. She also served in several positions with The Dow Chemical Company: Global Marketing Communications Leader, Dow Plastics, The Dow Chemical Company, 1997-2000; Global Communications Manager, Plastics, Dow Europe S.A., Horgen, Switzerland, 1995-1997; Senior Marketing Communications Manager, Environmental Services, R&D and Technology Licensing and Catalyst Businesses, 1993- 1995; Senior Communications Specialist, TQM/Public Communications, 1990-1993. She served as a tenure-track Assistant Professor of English & Professional Communications at Monroe Community College, a part of the State University of New York system, Rochester, N.Y., 1987-1989.
Walton earned a M.A in English, Brigham Young University, 1986, and a Bachelor of Independent Studies (Liberal Arts concentration), Brigham Young University, 1979.