Second VP for University and Public Affairs candidate to visit campus April 10-11
Pete Haga, one of three finalists for the position of Vice President for University and Public Affairs, will visit the University of North Dakota April 10-11. Haga is the Community/Governmental Relations Officer for the City of Grand Forks. The other candidates include:
- Susan Walton, associate chair for Student Media, Brigham Young University Department of Communications. Walton visited UND April 4-5.
- Derek Hall, vice president for University Relations & External Affairs, Jacksonville University, Jacksonville, Fla., April 26-27.
In addition to meeting with President Robert Kelley and various constituency groups, each candidate will participate in an open forum in the form of a “Great Conversation.” These are open to the University and the greater Grand Forks communities. The open forum conversations include:
- Pete Haga, Tuesday, April 10, 3:15 p.m. in the Memorial Union Lecture Bowl, moderated by Charley Johnson, WDAZ TV co-anchor. A reception follows starting at 4 p.m. in the Fireside Lounge.
- Derek Hall, Thursday, April 26, 3:15 p.m., Burtness Theatre, moderated by Merrill Piepkorn, North Dakota Public Radio. A reception follows starting at 4 p.m. in the lobby.
- Walton’s open forum conversation was held April 4.
After the campus visits are complete, the search committee, chaired by Joshua Wynne, vice president for Health Affairs and dean of the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, will recommend finalists to President Robert Kelley.
Pete Haga has served as the Community/Governmental Relations Officer for the City of Grand Forks since 2002. In that role, he coordinates communication strategy for and serves as liaison with governmental entities. His responsibilities include managing the City of Grand Forks' legislative program; coordinating legislative priority development and policy adoption; communicating priorities to internal and external audiences including City Council, residents and legislators; serving as liaison to the offices and staff of the North Dakota governor and North Dakota's congressional delegation; providing professional advisory and administrative assistance to the Mayor of Grand Forks; coordinating communication between city government and various constituencies; and managing the City of Grand Forks' Public Information Center and overall communication efforts. Haga's prior position was Communications Specialist with the City of Grand Forks, 1997-2002.
Haga earned a bachelor's in History, University of Minnesota, 1994.
-- Peter B. Johnson, executive associate vice president for University Relations/media relations coordinator, 777-4317, email@example.com.