Please note changes for Emergency Management and Public Safety contacts
UND’s Emergency Management and Public Safety Unit has seen multiple staff changes this summer. As a result, realignment of the unit has begun and will continue to take place over the next several months.
The unit will be renamed the Department of Public Safety with oversight provided by the director of public safety/chief of police. Departments within Public Safety will include Emergency Management, Environmental Health and Safety, Environmental Training Institute (ETI), Operations Center, and University Police Department (UPD).
In an agreement with the City of Grand Forks, Lt. Jeff Burgess, Grand Forks Police Department, assumed the role of interim police chief in July after longtime chief Duane Czapiewski retired. Burgess will serve in this capacity during the recruitment of a permanent replacement. The search committee will begin reviewing applications for UND’s Director of Public Safety/Chief of Police on August 20.
The individual hired into this position will be responsible for advertising and hiring staff to fill the vacancies left by Terry Sando, emergency management specialist, and Jason Uhlir, safety director/risk manager. Both individuals left their positions at the end of July to pursue new opportunities.
To better serve the campus communities’ needs during this transition, please direct your questions accordingly:
• Activities and events – Carol Herman, 777.3341
• Risk management and insurance – Corrinne Kjelstrom, 777.2785
• Hazardous waste, radiation safety, air quality and general safety – Eric Pearson, 777.3759
• Workers compensation, ergonomics and medical surveillance – Claire Moen, 777.6232
• Fire prevention, safety and extinguisher training – Robert (Bob) Johnson, 777.6044
• Vulnerability assessments and building emergency action plans, Neha Khanna, 777.3342
• Police services – 777.3491
• Chief of police – Lt. Jeff Burgess, 77.3391
-- Alice Brekke, Vice President for Finance and Operations