Report icy conditions to Facilities Management
The weather has caused icy conditions on our parking lots, roads, and sidewalks. We will continue to salt and sand to reduce the slipperiness as much as possible. Please report any hazardous conditions to Facilities Management, 777.2591.
There are some things that you can do to help reduce the risk of falling on ice. Here are some helpful hints.
- Wear boots or overshoes with grip soles. Slick leather or rubber soles on dress shoes are unsafe on ice.
- Don’t walk with your hands in your pockets. This reduces your balance if you slip on the ice.
- Take short to medium steps, or shuffle your feet in very icy areas.
- Don’t carry or swing heavy loads, such as large boxes or cases, which could cause you to lose your balance when walking.
- When walking, curl your toes under and walk as flat-footed as possible.
- Don’t step on uneven surfaces. Step well over or avoid curbs with ice on them.
- Place your full attention on walking. Don’t allow your attention to be divided by getting your keys out of your pocket, texting, digging in your pocketbook for items, etc., while walking on ice.
-- Larry Zitzow, director, Facilities Management.