Spirit Campaign hits $300 million goal
North Dakota Spirit | The Campaign for UND has already surpassed its fundraising goal with months to go before the campaign wraps up during Homecoming this fall.
Tim O'Keefe, UND Alumni Association & Foundation executive vice president & CEO, announced during at the annual State of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation address that two large donations have pushed the campaign total over the $300 million goal to $300,593,489.
“When we set the goal of $300 million a little over six years ago,” said O’Keefe, “many thought we were beyond overly optimistic. In fact, some even questioned our sanity. We have not only blown through this goal, but we are going to accomplish so much more throughout the balance of this campaign and beyond.”
The objective now, O’Keefe said, is to push to see just how much more can be secured to impact the University’s passionate students, inspirational educators, innovative programs, and extraordinary places.
“I think we have some great projects and programs that will keep us motivated through the end of the campaign,” said DeAnna Carlson Zink, associate executive vice president and chief development officer. “We have a number of alumni and friends that are still planning to get engaged, so we are thrilled to see where we’ll end up in October.”
The impact of the Spirit Campaign was the focus of the State of the UND Alumni Association & Foundation address, which is held as part of UND Spirit Week. UND student and 2011 Spirit Award scholarship winner Adam Swigost gave a heartfelt speech in which he thanked those who’ve given to the campaign.
“I want to thank all of alumni who have ever given the University of North Dakota,” Swigost said. “Without your gifts, my education would not be possible, nor would the education of my classmates. You are what make this University such a rich and fulfilling place.”
Other highlights of the financial report given during the address:
- 575 new funds have been established on campus since the Spirit Campaign started, including 270 scholarship funds.
- 354 new endowments have been funded since the start of the campaign.
- 36,400 alumni and friends have made donations to the Spirit Campaign.
- $43.7 million was committed to the Spirit Campaign by 13,161 investors in Fiscal Year 12.
- In FY12, the Foundation’s assets hit an all-time high of $246 million.
- The endowment balance at the end of FY12 was also a record at $140.3 million.
- Support for student scholarships in FY12 hit $4.8 million, and total support including scholarships and programs was $11.1 million.