Emergency Response and Evacuation policy revised
President Kelley signed UND policy 6.7, Emergency Response and Evacuation, on July 17. While this policy is not new, multiple areas of the policy document were revised to meet the requirements set forth by the State Board of Higher Education and those of the Clery Act. These changes are submitted by the Clery Working Group composed of representatives from Dean of Students, Public Safety, Housing, General Counsel and Finance and Operations.
Policy Statement: The University of North Dakota (UND) Emergency Management Framework (EMF) describes the responsibilities and duties of campus personnel, departments, agencies, and nongovernmental organizations in event of an emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat. The EMF is designed to assist UND employees respond appropriately when emergency conditions exist. To ensure emergency plans are appropriate, UND conducts emergency response exercises annually. These tests are designed to assess and evaluate the emergency plans and capabilities of the institution.
Moreover, UND subscribes to the NotiFind emergency notification system. Participation in NotiFind is mandatory for all UND students and employees. To ensure the emergency notification system is functioning appropriately, UND conducts a test of NotiFind at least once each semester.
Reason for Policy: The EMF allows for immediate response procedures, thereby minimizing danger to the campus and students. UND is responsible for notifying campus upon confirmation of an emergency or dangerous situation in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) and utilizes an emergency notification system as directed by State Board of Higher Education policy 1902.
- Updated information to comply with SBHE policy 1902 and expansion/use of NotiFind in Policy Statement, Reason for Policy, Related Information, Contacts, Principles: Overview, Procedures: authorized officials, Procedures: Notifying Campus, and Procedures: Notification Methods
- Added Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 in Related Information
- Added emergency, employee and SBHE to Definitions
- Replaced Emergency Management and Public Safety with Department of Public Safety, Safety and Environmental Health with Office of Safety, and Emergency Management with Office of Emergency Management throughout document
- Eliminated full scale and campus-wide simulation information in Procedures: Drills and Exercises
- Transferred web links from Procedures: Promoting Emergency Procedures to Related Information
- Added duties for employees in Responsibilities
To view this policy document in its entirety (including procedures), visit the Division of Finance and Operations’ policy website:
- New and Revised Policy Updates: UND.edu/finance-operations/policy-new-revised.cfm
- A-Z Policy Index: UND.edu/finance-operations/policy-a-z-index.cfm
Contact Jennifer Rogers, special projects assistant to the VPFO, if you have questions: 777-4392.