Sessions Sept. 26, 27 will focus on Title IX
The Office of General Counsel/Title IX Officer and the Dean of Students have invited Sara G. McGrane from the Minneapolis law office of Felhaber, Larson, Fenlon & Vogt to present on Title IX. As part of her visit, she will present two sessions open to the University community.
The sessions, titled "Basic Title IX and Bias Issues," will be held in the Lecture Bowl of the Memorial Union and be presented twice:
• Thursday, Sept. 26, 2 - 4 p.m.
• Friday, Sept. 27, 9 – 11 a.m.
Information will include:
• Participants will learn the important concepts of Title IX, Sexual Assault, and Bias.
• We will review what Title IX prohibits (discrimination and disparate treatment, as well as retaliation) and what it requires (policies and procedures for prevention of discrimination) in almost every area of higher education.
• We will discuss how Title IX is enforced, and what role both the Campus Security Authority (CSA) and the University has in an investigation. Second, we will also discuss the increase in claims of sexual violence on campus.
• We will discuss the OCR’s “Dear Colleague Letter,” recent investigations on violence and discrimination, as well as a student’s experience when one has been the victim of such an assault.
• We will also address the reporting obligations, as well as the CSA’s role in that report (as required by the Clery Act).
• We will also discuss what is maintained as confidential, what cannot be confidential, and the investigatory process including the consequences that may result from the investigation. Finally, we will discuss resources for both the complainant and the accused.
• Finally, we will address bias, both overt and covert bias and stereotypes. We will discuss how UND’s Mission Statement requires a diverse university population. We will discuss implicit bias, and how each of us may be “recovering” from bias. We will discuss what someone should do if they discover an act of bias against an individual, including reporting obligations.
As you may be aware, Title IX requires that faculty, staff and students be educated on this topic. McGrane did the training for Housing staff earlier this year and received strong reviews. This is a great training opportunity for all campus members.
-- Dean of Students Office.